This year we had the privilege of participating in a charity event called Walk A Mile In Her Shoes sponsored by GBMC Healthcare. The cause behind it is near and dear to our hearts, which is Sexual Assault and Rape Awareness. We have long been supporters of this cause prior to the #metoo movement.
This event was amazing to see so many people, especially men come together to say that this behavior and these actions are unacceptable in our society. The premise behind this mile walk is for the men to walk a mile in high heels. This is such a spectacle to see, because its not an easy task. It's a cute way to get a very serious topic across to multi-generations.
FACTS ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT & RAPE
- People ages 12-34 years old are at the highest risk for rape and sexual assault (RAINN)
- 47% of transgender people are sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- Every 6 of 1,000 perpetrators will end up in prison (RAINN)
- Every 98 seconds an American is sexually assaulted (RAINN)
- And every 8 minutes, that victim is a child
- 2% of college students experience rape or sexual assault through violence, physical force or incapacitation (RAINN)
Here are few pictures of this fun event and some of the brave men who actually WALKED A MILE IN HER SHOES. It is very important we keep this conversation at the forefront of everyone's minds. Because these statistics are shameful to be taking place in 2018.